Monday, September 26, 2011

One Pot Mac and Cheese

I have been trying to find the perfect Mac and Cheese recipe. I love that stuff. I finally found a few that are in competition for top dog.

I tried this one last week. It's all in one pot. My kind of dish.

2 cups large elbow macaroni (uncooked)
2 cups milk. I used low fat
1 TBS butter (but you can omit, it won't harm the flavor)
1/2 tsp mustard powder (did you know mustard powder enhances the flavor of cheese?)
1 tsp salt
1 cup grated cheese. (I only had Colby Jack, but I think next time I want to mix Colby Jack and Sharp Cheddar- use what you like)

Okay- Quickly rinse the noodles in a colander.

In a medium sauce pan combine noodles, milk, salt and mustard powder and butter. Cook on medium heat SLOWLY. We don't want the milk to curdle. Bring it to a simmer.

When mixture comes to a simmer, reduce heat to low. Low helps the macaroni to cook and doesn't evaporate the milk too quickly.

Keep stirring!! Let noodles slowly cook. This should take about 15-20 minutes. Mine took 15. When the milk has evaporated, stir in your cheese until melted.

This was so yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment